Tuesday, June 21, 2011

String

I started my string project yesterday, in which I will run a continuous length of string along a road in Baltimore City that travels alongside a river and through various natural, industrial, and historic settings. The stretch of road is a little over 2 miles long, although I suspect the string length I’ll need will be 4 or more miles considering how it will be strung and the terrain it will have to pass through. Because I’ll have to push through a lot of brush and forest, scramble over steep banks, and possibly wade through the river at points, I’m thinking it could take me a good while to complete, and, actually, I’m a bit daunted by it. But one of the points of this idea is the close interaction it will require with that landscape, one that has been central to many of my art and writing projects over the past few years. Another nice feature is that a lot of my friends have kindly agreed to donate string, giving the idea a bit of a collaborative feel.

Here are a few pictures. I’ll try to get better ones next time.


No comments: